Yay!!! Today is my 26th wedding anniversary! 9494 days married!!! I remember my daughter asking me once if I was sure marriage was intended to be for this long “Are you sure you’re not supposed to graduate every 5 or 6 years like school?” She asked. Lol! Graduate to where?
Olori Ebi (it’s a Yoruba word meaning “head of the family”) and I have been blessed to be parents for 22 years and have two incredible children. Parenting together has been a very interesting journey. We’ve had (and still have) our disagreements on almost any and everything…discipline, schools to attend, pocket money, fashion, socialising….name it….we’ve been there. But we’ve also had some very precious moments and great times that we wouldn’t trade for anything in the world.
Here are a few things I’ve learned
- In the parenting team, there’s usually a good cop and a bad cop. (I’ll leave you to keep guessing who the good cop is). Both “cops” are necessary for balance.
- There are no perfect parents, so stop trying to be one. Do your best by making the right investments (physical, emotional, spiritual, financial…..) and trust God to take care of the rest.
- You need God & plenty of wisdom as you parent each child. Every child is different! Applying the same parenting method may not be the smartest thing to do.
- Stay united, stay focused and work together to groom adults you’d be proud of.
- As the years go by, the nest empties, so learn to love yourselves again.
I know that there are still many more things to learn – each age brings new experiences but I’m glad I have a great partner on my team.
100% responsible father
No. 1 prayer warrior
Best partner in parenting
Olori Ebi, I pray that our friendship grows stronger, love grows deeper and romance grows sweeter. I look forward to “grand-parenting” with you.